lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev removing HTMLSRC_* stuff: suggest a new setting name, pleas

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev removing HTMLSRC_* stuff: suggest a new setting name, please
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:35:41 +0400 (SAMT)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > > Why not just
> > >
> > >   PRETTYSRC:comment:b:!b ?
> > >
> > > Or
> > >   PSRC:comment:b:!b? .
> >
> >  I already sent patch with PSRCSPEC name chosen.
>
> Asking our opinion and then sending the patch anyway without giving us
> time to respond is bad form.  Well at least if you try to use "I already
> send it" as some kind  of argument for anything.

  Please don't treat "I alread sent it" as an argument. I assumed that Tom
will choose the best name for the setting, and modify the patch accordingly. I
don't insist on any particular name. Required modifications are: the one in
LYReadCFG.c (the name of the option) and commens to lynx.cfg (could be done
with 'sed').

> > Seems that PRETTYSRC and PSRC
> > are equally uninformative, while PSRCSPEC tells that it's some specification
> > (not simply the value). But I don't insist on PSRCSPEC.
>
> Then make it PRETTYSRC_SPEC, pretty please.
> The choice between saving 5 or 6 characters per occurence, and making
> it more obvious what it's about, should be a no-brainer.

 Prefix PSRC itself is already used in several places to denote pretty source
view mode. So I chose PSRCSPEC.

> That reminds me...
> The description of "pretty source view settings" is completely
> incomprehensible, unless one already knows how it works.  Does anyone
> disagree?  Has anyone tried to create or modify their own -prettysrc
> formatting, going by the lynx.cfg description, and actually understood it?
> (I know I didn't before I actually started to fiddle with the source.)
>
> One basic problem - it talks about "internal html markup" but never
> introduces that term or explains what it does.
>
>    Klaus

 Here is a quote:
#  The following group of option tells which styles will surround each
# lexeme. The syntax of option in this group is:
#HTMLSRC_<LEXEMENAME>:<TAGSPEC>:<TAGSPEC>
# The first <TAGSPEC> specifies what tags will precede lexemes of that class
# in the internal html markup. The second - what will be placed (internally)
# after it.
<....>
#         Examples:
# HTMLSRC_COMM:B I:!I !B
#           internal html markup
# HTMLSRC_ATTRVAL: span.attrval : !span
#         - values of the attributes will be surrounded by the
#           <SPAN class=attrval> </SPAN>
# HTMLSRC_HREF::
#         - no special html markup will surround hyperlink destinations (
#           this means that only default color style for hrefs will be applied
#           to them)

 "Examples" could give some insight about "internal html markup".

 Best regards,
  -Vlad