lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev problem with -post_data

From: Vieri Di_paola
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem with -post_data
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:12:58 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Vieri Di_paola wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm new to this mailing list. I hope my question can be answered by one of
> > you.
> >
> > I use lynx to retreive the result of a biological database query. It works
> > for "Entrez" (a server for biological sequences). I do:
> >
> > lynx -dump -cfg=~/.lynxrc
> > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query\?db=n\&form=4\&term=dolphin+\[ALL\]\&dopt=f\&tool=EntrezLinkDoc
> > > EntrezResultFile
> >
> > I would like to do the same thing with another server called "Blast". But
> > this time I need to post data contained in a file called p.in.
> >
> > Content of p.in:
> > PROGRAM blastn
> > DATALIB month
> > BEGIN
> > > gene1
> > aaagggcccttt
> >
> > O.K. Then I tried:
> >
> > lynx -cfg=~/.lynxrc
> > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/BLAST/nph-blast_report -post_data <
> > p.in
> >
> > BUT I get the following error message:
> >
> > ----ERROR IN BLAST REQUEST------Short error description...etc...
> > ...etc... Your original message was:
> > ----------------------------PROGRAM
> > blastnDATALIB
> > monthBEGIN>gene1aaagggcccttt-------
> >
> > Seems like the \n in p.in are not considered?
>
> Lineends and spaces are ignored.
>
> The content of the file should be in x-www-form-urlencoded format,
> since it is sent exactly as is (except for the removal of newlines
> and spaces).
>
> Submit a small example by hand.  Then go the the INFO screen ('='),
> it should show you the format you need under Post Data.

What do you mean by submitting a small example by hand?
Suppose my p.in must be in x-www-form-urlencoded format, what does this
mean? How should I post it? Are there any Lynx command line arguments that
I'm overlooking?

> If that doesn't help look in the lynx-dev archives for the lasts months
> for messages with POST or post_data in the subject.

Unfortunately I can't access the archives because my dumb university won't
allow me to go to "non-educational" sites (i.e. "non-university" sites).