lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:37:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:

> Yes, please keep the x-* form.  The vast majority of pages I view are
> described as "x-sjis," sad as it may be.  (One reason is that older
> Japanese versions (2.*) of Netscape will not correctly render documents
> that do not use these forms.)

It's not a matter of "keeping" it, but of adding support for it.
That is, in a form and place that would really work.

I'm not sure why this should be added now, after all these years
when nobody asked for it.  Now that other charsets like UTF-8 seem
to becomeing more popular, why do we have to add Netscape *2.x*
compatibility support now...  But I'm not affected, so it's up
to you guys.  (I think you know how and where to patch.)

> > >  (b) Display Character Set is a non-CJK character set, and ASSUME_CHARSET
> > >      points to a CJK charset.
> >
> > I tried. But I can't read many Japanese documents.
> > What kind of situations do I have to use these settings?

As I tried to write elsewhere (b) isn't really useful, currently.  If
Lynx could translate from / decode e.g. EUC-JP to something else in a
non-CJK representation (at least some characters), it would be useful.

> There used to be something called "transparent," whatever that means, that
> might be useful for experimentation.

a) It's still there.
b) It's always never the right solution for anything.
I don't know why you bring it up here, I think it just adds
to possible confusion.

   Klaus