lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev can't interrupt "LIST" command

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev can't interrupt "LIST" command
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:25:01 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 30-Dec-99 10:23 Bela Lubkin wrote:
>
> > (update: it's now 12MB into the 14MB temp file, process is 74MB, and
> > still plugging along.  wheee!)
>
> Aside from interruption issue, 6:1 ratio seems too memory consuming for
> such a simple task. Could this be improved?

I don't think there is a 6:1 ration, certainly not in general.

1) What kind of process size is that? (RSS / virtual / ??)
   Do we know that the process *needs* that much memory, just because
   it takes it when it can get it?

2) Only part of that memory is for the document constructed from the LIST
   temporary file.  Apart other stuff, there are other documents in memory,
   at least the document from which the LIST was constructed - which would
   be similarly huge.

   Well, Bela gave us two approximate data points, so we can plot a straight
   line to get the (memory bytes / file bytes) increase:

>> finish.  Silly me.  Process is up to 51MB in size and has only read
>> about half of the 14MB file ... looks like it's actually going to push

     (74 - 51) / (12 - 7) = 4.6

   but the input numbers are only very approximate.

3) A LIST file isn't a typical HTML document.  Most likely, most of the
   raw file bytes make up URLs.  The exact ratio would depend on how long
   the URLs are, and how long the titles are (if the list shows titles).
   Note that URLs in the list page are always in absolute form, so they
   tend to be longer than in HTML documents using relative URLs.

> According to CHANGES, lynx with color styles use nearly 30:1 ratio
> before dev14, but now it claims around 5:1

For all we know, that number may be from a file with completely different
characteristics.

   Klaus