lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:10:09 +0900 (JST)

> IMHO: I agree that lynx should be able to do as much as possible
> internally becuase it would lend an image of lynx being unable to cope

That's in a sense exactly what I am saying and why I started this thread.
By putting the manual override switch to choose the document encoding
(AUTO, EUC, SJIS) _into_ Lynx does not make Lynx better able to cope.
I am confident that the AUTO mechanism of Lynx can be improved to make it
as good as any other browser out there.  _That_ would be making Lynx
better able to cope.  Where the user's judgment is absolutely necessary
(EUC or SJIS manual override), then I am saying you might as well leave
it totally up to the user, because then you can have a number of ways
to convert the encodings and/or handle a particular document.  Now that
is something no other browser I know of could do.

> Okay for little used features (err canne think of one ATM) then point them
> to the outside but otherwise it would be better to suggest configure

CJK is a minority feature, and we are talking about only one aspect of it.

However, my way of thinking is the opposite.  Where Lynx runs circles around
the other browsers out there is exactly those "outside" ways of doing things:
lynxcgi, lynxprog, lynxexec, external, download, or printer.  Letting these
fall into disuse is a waste of Lynx's talents.

__Henry