lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Spawning additional browsers

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spawning additional browsers
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:54:32 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:
>> Is it possible to spawn multiple browsers from a single
>> lynx instance (each running on a separate virtual console,
>> say) which would share code and (presumable) reduce memory
>> usage?  (I'm thinking a la Netscape's "New Browser"
>> functionality.)
>
>no.

But the links browser (http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/)
does something like this.  Well, when you run multiple copies, they talk
to each other through sockets.  So I guess you're not getting the
memory savings.  I still don't quite understand what benefit this has,
but some people on the links mailing list have said it is really cool.