lynx-dev

Re: lynx.cfg AND/OR .lynxrc [was: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx.cfg AND/OR .lynxrc [was: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:17:17 -0800

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 12:08:02PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> <snip>
> The present example is perfect.  I don't like the tree design; I like a
> compact style with the links beginning one or two spaces indented from the
> left, leaving 78 (39 kanji) characters.  Now _I_ have to go to the Option
> Menu and change it -- on the 3 or 4 machines that I use Lynx on.
> <snip>

(1) I agree that you should able to set a "default" tree-style
   in .lynxrc.  You should NOT be FORCED to go to the option
   page each time you start Lynx!

(2) BUT -- KEEP the while-running-lynx option of being
    able to EASILY and TEMPORARILY (ie without writing out
    to .lynxrc, etc) play with the tree-style.

   It is CLEAR that one might want DIFFERENT tree styles
   for different sessions; in fact, one might want to
   view DIFFERENT tree-styles in the SAME session --
   in fact, at the same POINT in the same session, being
   able to get a different "mental feel" from looking at
   exactly the SAME info from DIFFERENT viewpoints.

I do not see how (2) could have ANY disadvantage
to Henry, GIVEN that (1) was available TOO.

(That is, UNTIL one tried flipping the OPTION,
the view would be what was set in .lynxrc)

My mantra:

  MORE POWER TO THE USER!

David