lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev.16 patch 3 - SOURCE_CACHE etc.

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.16 patch 3 - SOURCE_CACHE etc.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:47:40 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 9-Dec-99 21:02 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> >> around 4 (?) times more space allocated compared to the source size, it
>
> It was just a wild guess.
> I am interested in the real numbers though.

I think Vlad has some real numbers, for color-style.  Size without
color-style should always be smaller.

> 'links' author said his browser keeps a ratio 1:4 till 1:8
> between html and formated object, which twice more than lynx have,
> he said. Of couse, this is an *average* ratio. More correct will be to
> compare HText against the output from "print-to-local-file".

But that's a different topic - you started out with "compared to
source size".

> > Retrieving from "source cache" should go through getfile() like other
> > requests, instead of doing its own thing and duplicating stuff that is
>
> Thinking more on this item, it may be useful to group several class of
> events in mainloop:

I think you are rather talking about "actions" than "events"?

> 1) activate new document [via getfile(), may have several no_cache flags]
> 2) reparse [when show images or such are changed]

My point is, these first two are largely the same.  In functionality, if
not in current implementation.  When "show images or such are changed",
the getfile() path may be followed anyway!

> 3) scroll  [next link, next page]
> 4) refresh [^W]
>
> >From this classification, "invoke a command" [editor, shell, etc.] will
> probably ends with 4) or 1). "User search" is 3). LYK_PREV is 1).
> "Any private page" is 1); but "old-style option menu" is 1) or 4).

It is unclear whether you are trying to classify according to cause or
according to effect.  The first would use the criterium: what user action
caused this (in most cases: a key command).  For example, ACTIVATE is a
different kind of request than SOURCE which is different from PREV_DOC.
The second would just look at what kind of action is taken (which code
is executed).

    Klaus