lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev changed default for PERSISTENT_COOKIES

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changed default for PERSISTENT_COOKIES
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:30:17 +0900 (JST)

> GUI browsers ship with persistent cookies already on, and this is one case

One of the many good reasons I use MSIE only when Lynx completely fails,
which isn't all that often.

> where it isn't bad to follow their model.  Do things the easy way by default,

Every time I install Windows, one of the first things I have to do is turn
off all the garbage, persistent cookies, applets, javascript, images, that
MSIE ships with.  It's not "the easy way by default;" it's a real chore.

> and make people who want to do _abnormal_ things have to configure things

I think not cluttering up one's hard disk with junk unbeknownst to the user
is common courtesy.  If persistent cookies has to be on by default, make
the default cookie file "/dev/null."

__Henry