lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:31:16 +0300 (MSK)

12-Nov-99 12:57 Henry Nelson wrote:
>> I think an ultimate idea to add a help link for every internal
>> page was wrong (*). IMHO, the only useful case is in "Options menu"
>> where lots of details easily available now in case of questions (well,
>> only for form-based menu).

> I'm very glad to hear that.  Hope you'll have better luck than I did
> over the past year dissuading others of the need for all those links.

> On a related thread, is there any chance you will reconsider not
> duplicating the "development version" (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/)
> and "your lynx.cfg" (LYNXCFG:/) links on the =)nformation page, and
> make them available only on the form-based O)ption Menu?  The Option
> Menu is where they have meaning, not on a page that is information about
> the current document.

=)information page is not the best place for that links, but where is a
better one?

1) It is a reasonable thing to have a link to a recent version depositary
next to the version/date information _somewhere_ in a noticeable place
in lynx to encourage users to upgrade. Lot of querries to lynx-dev prove
the need of this.

2) =)information page had no links before. So we got no additional
complexity for user to navigate across the "important links" and new
one, informational.

3) When moved to the options menu, old-fashion menu users will lack the
functionality. Is that you want to?

> and "your lynx.cfg" (LYNXCFG:/) links on the =)nformation page, and

this only happen for DOS/WINDOWS ports (could be removed, yes),
autoconf-based ports read "compile-time settings" here.
In case we move it to the options menu we got a case (3).