lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev right-left scroll (was -dont-wrap-pre)

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev right-left scroll (was -dont-wrap-pre)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:56:38 +0400 (SAMT)

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 991029 Henry Nelson wrote:
> >> I don't like the '+' prefixing convention in SOURCE very much,
> >> something appended to the previous line (esp  \ ) would be more obvious.
> > vi bundled with Solaris wraps at the 80-character edge,
> > but does _not break the line_.
> > most sticks a "$" at the right edge, but then most does horizontal scroll.
> > if someone is going to spend a lot of time anyway,
> > working on right-left scrolling might make more sense
> > since there wouldn't be a need to break the line.
>
> Vlad?  now we've got better table support, L-R scrolling should be next.
> much more useful than justification etc ...

  Yes, L-R scrolling can be on our TODO list, but it will require a lot of
hacking (most problems with anchors IMO). But seems I'll have time to do
something big only in Feb. Sorry.

  May be there is a cheap hack to achieve L-R scrolling. If 'screen' allows
windows to be wider than actual screen, and allows to L-R scroll them (I
don't use it since I don't have time to study it) , then IMO it's possible to
add commandline switch like '-table-cols' that will specify how wide tables
can be. Eg, if you use 80-col terminal, then running lynx with commandline
 'lynx -cols=80 -table-cols=160' will allow rendered tables to take no more
than 2 actual screens wide, while making other content to fit in 80 chars.
 Seems this is a nice idea (if screen satisfies conditions specified).

 Klaus, what do you think?

> --
> SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : address@hidden
> ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|  Centre for Urban & Community Studies
> TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'  University of Toronto

 Best regards,
  -Vlad