lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: how to do "cc", etc for email to a link?

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: how to do "cc", etc for email to a link?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:22:36 -0700 (PDT)

*** David Combs (address@hidden) wrote Today:
:)
:) NO WAY TO DO A CC, OR CHANGE THE SUBJ, OR ADD TO THE "TO:" LINE, etc.
:)
:) Any worthwhile ideas here?

No that this is a worthwhile idea but what I do instead is to use the
external command over mailto: addresses, in that whay I use another
program to write my letters. Here's the way I do it:

  Compile lynx with external support enabled, once you do that, in your
lynx.cfg file write something like this (almost at the bottom of the file)

EXTERNAL:mailto:/path/to/email/program %s:TRUE

What will happen is that everytime the cursor is over a
mailto:somewhere.com kind of link, and you press the dot key, your mail
program will start and the argument it receives will be
mailto:somewhere.com. I actually do not open directly my e-mail reader,
but I apply before a small script that deletes the mailto: part of the
argument and then start my mailer program with what remains.

  In general terms I would like to see that lynx can be configured to open
any e-mail reader that you like on pressing return, without going through
external support. The opposite direction is true, mailers allow you to
open web browsers, why not the opposite?

  A not so long time ago I talked about lynx checking for e-mail in
external servers, the only answers I got where "use another program for
this", so now here is the question: If you agree about using an external
program for checking for new mail, why not use an external configurable
program to compose it?

  Have a nice day,

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html