lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Looking for scriptable web browser

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Looking for scriptable web browser
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:58:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Carlos Mastrangelo wrote:

> I have been searching for a web browser that could be scriptable. That is
> a browser that will engage in a dialog with the web site that is being
> accessed. The dialog being driven by an ascii script that emulates what
> the user would do. Since lynx is driven entirely by the keyboard, is it
> possible to drive this from an input file ? (ie lynx < commandfile ??
> where the command file may emulate the keystrokes )

Talking about Unix-like systems only:

This simple approach (redirecting stdin) doesn't work
- for lynx with slang, because lynx then doesn't read terminal input from
  stdin;
- for lynx with (n?)curses, because lynx swallows input characters when
  it checks for 'z', which may occur at generally unpredictable points.

(A -nozap flag, which would suppress 'z' checking, could probably
overcome that second problem.)

As said in other messages, run lynx under expect (or maybe kermit,
should you be more familiar with that) or similar.

   Klaus