lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 18:01:45 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Juan-Carlos Lerman wrote:

> Vlad Harchev wrote:

> >   Lynx will be unable to find the hyphenated word. The biggest problem in
> > supporting search on hyphenated text is that lynx currently searches in each
> > line only (so, it's unable to find "foo bar" if "foo" is the last word of
> > one
> > line, and "bar" is the first on next line).
>
> What's the use of an electronic text that can't be searched
> electronically? For my _modus operandi_ a text with broken
> words (hyphenated at the breaks) would be as "useful" as a
> typographically set book with some words printed with invisible
> ink. IMHO, the possibility of reading/sorting/indexing texts
> electronically is as revolutionary as the invention of the
> printing press and it *should be preserved.*
>
> You should realize that this applies not only to Lynx searches
> but to searching/indexing/sorting text *rendered by Lynx*
> using *other software* such as, e.g., AltaVista Discovery.

 Of course hyphenation will be switchable on/off in lynx. User has to
understand what penalties the hyphenation requires.
 Gnu roff (groff) - command used in 'man' at least in linux-based
distributions hyphenates the stuff too. Since the output of groff is piped
through 'less' or 'more' when 'man' is invoked, it's impossible to search for
hyphenated words too. So, lynx will be not the only one in its (dis)abilities.

 What do you think about ISO or ANSI that release the standards in PDF (the
text is hyphenated in PDF too) and in printed form only?

>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad