lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx

From: Janina Sajka
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:50:09 -0400 (EDT)

I would echo Lloyd's comment: "Lynx rules."

The problems you list are not just problems with Lynx. They show up in all
kinds of applications that blind users have used for many years. This is
why the various screen readers have developed strategies to handle them
properly. My Lynx, for example, does not read the status line unless I ask
for it. It also does not speak the name of the link I'm leaving as I arrow
down. I use asap, by the way.

I do have two comments regarding blind users, however.

My first comment is a request of the Lynx folks. Actually, it's a request
of the folks porting Lynx to the Win32 environment. Is that still mostly
Wayne?

It has to do with the numeric keypad. Some months ago, Wayne "dumbed down"
the numeric keypad in Lynx for the benefit of screen reader users. But, he
only did it for the scan-codes active when num-lock is off. For that
reason, Lynx32 works splendidly with screen readers like JAWS for DOS--now
in the public domain. It does not work well with screen readers which
require num-lock to be on in order to "read" the screen. In that case,
both the screen reader and Lynx are passed all key presses from the
numeric keypad. So, Lynx thinks a numbered link is being typed, which is
not so. The user was simply re-reading information that had already been
painted on the screen in order to understand it better. The request is to
provide a means of ignoring the numeric keypad when num-lock is on, as it
is now ignored with num-lock off.

My second comment is to the folks desiring to equip blind users with web
capable talking computer systems. This is a laudable effort. I support you
and would be happy to advise, if you wish. I wonder, however, why you
would build on DOS in this day and age. Seems to me Linux is a far better
choice, given that free screen reader software is available for Linux, and
given that Linux is so much more capable an OS. Also, it's an OS with a
future, which DOS certainly isn't.
                                Janina Sajka, Director
                                Information Systems Research & Development
                                American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

address@hidden