lynx-dev

lynx-dev Automate Login to set Cookie or Lynxing from a Script

From: bjm
Subject: lynx-dev Automate Login to set Cookie or Lynxing from a Script
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:48:41 -0400

I am new to lynx and have a problem which seems related to Lynx's cookie support.

I am using Lynx Version 2.8.1pre.9 (10 Oct 1998) on Redhat Linux 5.2.

I use ebay alot. When I want to ask a seller a question, I have to login with my ebay
username/password. A cookie is set in my browser which makes subsequent pages that
contain other ebay usernames also contain their email address. In other words,
the first time you go to this URL:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=bmurphee

you are prompted to login. After you login and do a refresh on the above URL
(in the same Netscape window, ie, session), the page will yield the email
address I want.

I am trying to write a script that will automate the login and setting of that
cookie so that my script can go on to check on the data from my auctions.

Ebay says its cookies are one session only. Lynx documentation I have read says
cookies it supports are one session only. How can I make that cookie information
permanent so that I dont have to login each time I go to those web pages to
get the email addresses?

I am an extreme beginner to shell scripting using awk, sed and perl. Question: If I write
a script that includes a command like

lynx -dump URL

and then grab data from the output to create something like

lynx -dump newupdatedURL

have I just created two lynx sessions? Will cookie information carry over to the second
instance of the lynx -dump command?

If not, if I can't automate the login and setting of the cookie and have it carry over to
other instances of lynx -dump or -get_data in the script, can anyone suggest something
better.....should I use a Perl library or something like that to better interact with the
logins and setting of the cookies?

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated. Anything--resources I can read, things
I can try, scripts you have written to do similar things that I can look at--all would
be appreciated. I am a beginner so any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, also, I am not
a member of this list but if solid advice comes from this query, I would probably
consider joining. In the meantime, please reply to my address: address@hidden

Thanks much!!

-brennan
IT for paymentsource.com