lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev /tmp failure

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev /tmp failure
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 06:56:21 -0400 (EDT)

> > Linux is a bad platform for testing permissions problems since it doesn't
> > behave as stringently as Unix.  (I can read from a directory which has
> > "unreadable" permissions - though I've not rechecked that with the 2.2.x
> > kernel yet).
>
> Can you give a concrete example and confirm that you were not root at the
> time.  This would be a serious bug that would probably get high priority
> treatment given its security implications.

at the moment I'm on the 2.2.5 kernel (Redhat 6) and of course was up too
late - I don't see it here, but my experience (with the 2.0.x kernel, libc5)
was that I could set a directory to be unexecutable and still read the file
if I knew its name.

I 'noticed' this last fall, for instance, when testing the permissions code
I was working on in Lynx.  I normally don't run as root.

-- I'll experiment some when I go back to the 2.0.36 this afternoon (I was
running 2.0.34 last fall, but I don't want to pull out the disk right now)

> Just to be clear, though, to read a file in Unix you need x permission
> on the directory and r permission on the file; you do not need r
> permission on the directory.

yes - Solaris agrees with this.

--
Thomas E. Dickey