lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-2/features.html

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-2/features.html
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:21:49 -0700

At 10:43a -0700 08/18/99, address@hidden wrote:
>In a recent note, T.E.Dickey said:
>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:03:18 -0400 (EDT)

>> > Hi. How does EBCDIC handle URLs? I mean, I couldn't find a "/" character
>> > in
>> > EBCDIC. Where's the virgule? (sounds like Clara Peller...)
>>
>It's hard to answer this without descending into superciliousness.  I won't
>resist the temptation.

:-)

>o The virgule is near the lower right corner of the keyboard, below
>  the semicolon and the apostrophe.

And here I thought that was just a scratch. <g>

>o If you nurture the delusion that EBCDIC has no virgule, you have very
>  little exposure to EBCDIC; surely you've never coded a line of JCL.

That's for sure. I know what JCL stands for, but that's about it. ;)

>  Are you perhaps just trying to start a rumor?  ("I read in lynx-dev
>  that EBCDIC has no virgule!")

LOL. Actually, I went by the tables in the front of a 2.5"-thick electronics
sourcebook/catalog -- it was 'eem' or something. I ass/u/med it was correct.
<sigh>

>> >  http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/asciiebcdic.html
>
>Should I surmise from your handle "boo" in the URL that this is your
>own page?

Yep, I built that page. Seems quite popular, so I'm eager to correct any
deficiencies (after I return from the Dark Shadows Festival in NYC;).

>It's woefully incomplete.  For a slightly better one, see:
>

> http://www.s390.ibm.com/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/ASMR1001/D%2e0?SHELF=EZ239707

Wow, so there *is* a reference at ibm.com. I had searched their site before,
but could not find anything, leaving me to rely on my eem catalog.

>For much more, see:
>
>    ftp://ftp.ulg.ac.be/pub/docs/iso8859/iso8859.networking.txt
>
>-- gil

Thanks a bunch, gil! Shall I somehow mention your help on my page?
Like "gil from lynx-dev"?

thanks,
-Walter
 wondering if the cc to lynx-dev will go through since I'm not a subscriber
 Walter Ian Kaye, Menlo Park, CA, USA | Programmer - AppleScript/FaceSpan,
 http://www.natural-innovations.com/  |              Perl, HTML, & ProTERM
 http://www.oschoice.org/             |   Musician - Guitarist, Songwriter
 Perl on Unix, AppleScript on MacOS, at the nation's first WWW server
 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~boo/     AOL/AIM: Boo First