lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Borland #if (was: lynx2.8.3dev.6)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Borland #if (was: lynx2.8.3dev.6)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:56:49 -0400

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 08:16:47AM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > > can it not digest it (which would make it not meet the language standard),
> > > or does it "just" complain a lot?
> > > (watcom would complain a lot if one turned on warnings).
> >
> > With the makefile switches as distributed with Lynx, the BCB compiler
> > fails to compile this module. With the ifs changed to ifdefs, the
> > compile succeeds. I guess other switches would alter this behaviour.
> > My preference would be to change the code rather than the makefile.
>
>  Subsitituting ifs with ifdefs will possiblly yield different results, so
> seems this should be avoided. It seems to me that I remember that Borland's
> cpp has switches like "behave ansi-c compatible" or "extended mode". Seems
> that that switch should be tweaked first. Did you?

Sorry, I mis-diagnosed this problem.  Here's the less-than-helpful
error message from the compiler:

C:\bsd\lynx\lynx2-8-3>d:\programs\borland\cbuild~1\bin\make -f makefile.bcb
MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 1999 Inprise Corp.
        Bcc32 +BccW32.cfg -P- -c @MAKE0005.@@@
Borland C++ 5.4 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 1999 Inprise Corporation
src/HTFWriter.c:
Error E2188 src/HTFWriter.c 16: Expression syntax
Warning W8071 src/HTFWriter.c 168: Conversion may lose significant digits in
function HTFWriter_free
Warning W8069 src/HTFWriter.c 601: Nonportable pointer conversion in function
HTSaveAndExecute
*** 1 errors in Compile ***

** error 1 ** deleting ../obj/HTFwriter.obj

Changing line 16 from a #if to a #ifdef allowed the compile to work, but
is the wrong fix, as several have pointed out. However, I don't know
what the correct fix is for the "Expression syntax", nor if it is there
or in the included "HTParse.h" that is conditional.

#if WIN_EX
#include <HTParse.h>
#endif

HTParse.h hasn't changed since May 1999, nor are there any WIN
defines in that that might choke.

Suggestions?

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>