lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx (2.8.2rel.1) botches input type=submit value= w/spaces

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx (2.8.2rel.1) botches input type=submit value= w/spaces
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:16:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, John Hascall wrote:

> It appears that if I have a form with:
>
>     <input type=submit name=action value="   Help   ">
>
> when the form is submitted I get back:
>
>     action=Help
>
> (that is, with no spaces).
>
> Most annoying (it also appears to be rendered on the screen
> with no spaces, but that is less of a problem).

Ok, could you please give us some arguments why it should be changed.
For example, some standard that you are aware of that deals with this.
Also, what do other browsers do.  (Is there uniform behavior, only lynx
does it differently?)

What exactly should lynx send back in this case? "+++Help+++"?  or
"+Help+"?  (SGML rules about collapsing whitespace - do they apply
here?)

Are there other form control where this applies?

It's not that I am convinced that lynx is doing it right - in fact it
seems to me it's not.  But somebody put the code in to strip leading
and trailing blanks here, it is more than just an accident.  So there
may be some reasons for keeping it that way; I wouldn't just want to
change it without a convincing reason.

   Klaus