lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev non-sticky text inputs

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev non-sticky text inputs
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:23:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Heather wrote:

> Setting the "pop-open text fields" option would provide similar modality
> to textfields.

There's nothing that pops open, and there shouldn't be - more like the
visitor popping *in* into the field, rather than the other way...

> > >        MODAL           fields "sticky" - act like editor, not like lynx.
> > >                        (pls make sure it's documented how to leave the
> > > field!)
> >
> > I don't understand what this means.  "Act like an editor" - in which
> > respect?
>
> Okay, let me describe by example.
> [ ... ]
> Key to get in, and key to get out, must be assigned.  Enter is an okay
> choice for single lines, but terrible as exit key for textarea fields,
> since it's pretty common to want to do a paragraph or two in those.  I'm
> sure that's all been argued out on entirely different threads before.

Thanks for answering, I didn't realize that 'editor' is synonymous with
'vi' for you. :)

> > >      >  F_TEXT_SUBMIT_TYPE  ?
> > >
> > > Is this different from the submit button?
> >
> > As an example, go to <http://www.freshmeat.net/>.  Move to the
> > only input field, type "lynx" then enter.  "It submits", although
> > there is no submit "button".
>
> So this F_TEXT_SUBMIT_TYPE is used by lynx on a text field when there's
> no submit-button.

... and if it's the only form field (with maybe some exceptions).

> What if this weenie's form has more than one text
> field?

Then it needs a submit button or some other INPUT field that
acts in that capacity, or lynx cannot submit it.

(Which weenie?)

> (this is all a sideline, though.  No particular relation to
> pop-open text fields, except that they might also have to be submitters,
> so that shouldn't get broken.)

Yes.

That means two ENTERs are necessary for submitting.

More reason to make 'current'+'activated' look obviously different
from 'current', so a user won't accidentally submit because he assumes
the next ENTER is a first ENTER when in fact it is the second ENTER.

> > Incidentally, this field also shows the effect of highlight(ON)
> > as a sometimes visible flicker, when moving onto the field.
> > (It may only be noticeable because I have changed COLOR:6 to use
> > a different background from that for COLOR:0 and COLOR:1; I have
> >    COLOR:0:black:white
> >    COLOR:1:blue:white
> >    COLOR:6:lightgray:red
> > using slang.
> >
> >    Klaus
>
> There being only 8 colorsets so far (0-7) it should be easy to make them
> all look quite different, for testing...  yellow on brown, brightcyan on
> blue, white on black, etc.

My settings are already different enough for noticing the flicker -
the default may not be.

  Klaus