lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:20:56 -0400 (EDT)

> > [snip]
> > >
> > > mine work (I build 3 copies for my home machine; 1's slang and the arrow
> > > keys work in that).
> > >
> > > dev.4 deprecates some hardcoded escape sequences in favor of what's
> > > defined in the terminfo - perhaps your $TERM points to something that has
> > > the cursor keys in application mode or vice versa (e.g., \EOA versus
> > > \E[A).
> >
> > I have the same problem on Solaris (terminfo) and FreeBSD (termcap) with
> > slang 1.3.7. The cursor keys don't work, only the numeric keypad.
>
> LYStrings.c:
>
>         EXTERN_KEY( "\033[A",   "^(ku)", UPARROW,       KEY_UP ),
>         EXTERN_KEY( "\033OA",   "^(ku)", UPARROW,       KEY_UP ),
>
> We could at least have some minimal fallback by changing this to

We could (or they could use a terminal description that corresponds to the
terminal rather than using hardcoded values).  I think it's a bad idea in
general to encourage this sort of thing (specifically, the tendency to
hardcode nonstandard behavior into applications and then say that some
terminal emulators, etc., "don't work").

-- my point: lynx works properly with the terminal properly configured,
   adding more hardcoded cases only makes it more likely that we'll get
   spurious matches on some sequences.

>         EXTERN_KEY( "\033[A",   "^(ku)", UPARROW,       KEY_UP ),
>         EXTERN_KEY( "\033OA",   "\033OA", UPARROW,       KEY_UP ),
>
> the duplication of "^(ku)" seems pointless.  This change wouldn't add

That chunk of code is really for VMS.  (apparently the termcap support in
slang isn't portable to non-Unix platforms).  The VMS support is really
the only valid justification for the table.

> any lines.  Similar for the other lines in that 'table[]' where the
> second field duplicates that of another line.
>
> Well I don't know what's the more likely escape sequence (that
> contradicts the TERM capabilities) that people typically need,
> maybe instead it should be
>
>         EXTERN_KEY( "\033[A",   "\033[A", UPARROW,       KEY_UP ),
>         EXTERN_KEY( "\033OA",   "^(ku)", UPARROW,       KEY_UP ),

It depends on which terminal emulator they're using.  rxvt is normally
compiled to send cursor application-mode sequences (to make some hardcoded
applications "work").  Most other VTxxx emulators don't do that (though
it may be settable as in the case of xterm by a menu toggle).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden