lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:51:58 -0700

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 02:15:33PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Combs wrote:
> >For all the work you do on the computer, please go learn
> >emacs.  Maybe 19.34.1 as version, or the soon to be released
> >20.4 (maybe).
>
> Sorry, you will not get me to join your little cult.
>
> Darn, I can't repeat it, but I tried to vi /usr/dict/words (206662
> bytes) and it came up almost instantly.  emacs /usr/dict/words took
> 2-3 seconds, but I can't repeat it (it's cached or something).
>
> Plus I had to go to another screen and kill emacs since I couldn't figure out
> how to quit. (JUST as hard in vi, I'm not trying to argue this point.)
> ^G would show "Quit" at the bottom of the screen but wouldn't do anything.

Well, it's not a cult.  Just a really neat tool.

About time it took, it takes a LONG time to get started.  The idea
is you get it going, THEN NEVER QUIT IT.

  (you leave via M-x save-buffers-kill-emacs)

If you ever do want to learn it, do "help" (via control-H), then
"t" for "tutorial".  This is not a program you can just start using
without learning it first.  But the tutorial is really neat.
Try it, you will like it.

David