lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev README.TSST

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev README.TSST
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:50:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Heather Stern wrote:

> Um, Wow, this sounds tres' cool.  I wonder if the fella who is working on
> Truly Justified Paragraphs could share the "decide to cram spaces in" logic.
> I like the proposed support for the paragraphs at the last columns of TSST
> tables.

Well that's where I got bogged down - considering all the cases how what
was originally in one cell (between <TD> and </TD>) can end up:

from
   .... |CCCCCC| ....
   ........... |CCCC
  CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
  CCCCCC| ..........

> I also like the look of the table with a prefixing HR-made-of-dots,
> I wonder if there's some way you could have TSST tables marked of like that.

That seems to be quite a different thing (much more than my "late fixup"
can do), although I don't remember the details.

(Just remember that question, and ask again when there's something to
see.)

> I recommend you just go ahead and unset the TSST flag if the beginning TABLE
> tag declares a BORDER="0" attribute.  In my experience, that seems to declare
> that the author is only using it for layout style, and not for tabular
> content.
> Anybody know any exceptions?

That can be added at any time; but ideally such TABLEs should be detected
as too complex anyway because of their contents.  So I won't do that
initially (until some testing shows cases where it helps).

    Klaus