lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx and other character sets

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and other character sets
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:51:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> Two things here:
>
> 1. How can I add a character set to lynx?
>
> 2. What do you mean by display character set? Where is it defined? In a
> terminfo database
> or similar? What should I do if I want to define a display myself to support
> my character set?

Read the comments in lynx.cfg.
See also docs/README.chartrans, although it's more historical.
See the src/chrtrans/README.* files, as Tom mentioned character sets
are mostly defined by tables in that directory.

[ ... ]
> Aha! So is there any schedule to do this? We need this, and I think I can find
> some volunteers here in Iran to add anything that will be needed for Persian
> support.
> If only it's not that much hard...  Will you help?  We are GNU fans, and among
> the few Iranians who are fighting for software freedom, so it will be all
> nice.

Maybe you could give some info on how Persian writing is used in existing
web pages (what charsets, etc.).  Do all required bidi support, or is there
a "visual" (instead of logical) alternative?

> I am now in the list, and I will do somethings for BIDI if I can get to it.
> I will try to attract other Iranians also...

You *should* either subscribe to the list, or regularly check the list
archives.  Otherwise you will miss responses, I think you already did,
and no useful collaboration can occur.

   Klaus