lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx2-8-2rel.1 (Compile/Link Problems Under AIX 4.3.1.0)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx2-8-2rel.1 (Compile/Link Problems Under AIX 4.3.1.0)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:24:33 -0400 (EDT)

> That should be the goal; I don't know how to achieve this, given that
> h_errno might be in a variety of headers, or might be available but
> not in a header.

well, like anything else, we find one thing at a time and patch it.  checking
for h_errno is likely to be a costly process since none of the related header
files afaik are standardized (conventions don't count here).

> > (I'm aware of some people who blindly add a -D_REENTRANT
> > to their compiler definitions, but don't know how we could make their
> > program build and run properly in spite of their efforts).
>
> I thought it was Debian's policy to compile everything (or only
> libraries?) with this, but can't find a reference for it right now.

yes (it leads to some unrealistic expectations about the code - just because
it's compiled for threads doesn't make it thread-safe, nor does it automatically
make the application use threads...)

anyway, the examples of h_errno that I had were extern-int (which also is
likely to be abused), and in netdb.h

-- I can add a check to see for some of the more common dependencies with
   netdb.h, but have found in the past that there are almost as many variations
   of network header files as platforms.  So some of the configure tests will
   still fail (though logged in config.log).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden