lynx-dev

Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: gettext improvements (was: lynx-dev French messages file)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:37:53 +0400 (MSD)

9-Jun-99 10:08 Henry Nelson wrote:
>> Why not to leave .lynxrc messages in lynx.pot file but without translation

> Jim summed up one reason quite well, "long messages in general are losers."

> I may be wrong here, and correct me if I am, but I think the .lynxrc
> messages are unique in that they are not flashed on the screen [so fast
> that they can only be comprehended in one's native language], but are
> written out to a file which resides on disk, and can be read at leisure.
> In that sense, they seem to me to more closely resemble comments in the
> source code than message strings.

>From the other side, lynx.cfg and lynx help files can be translated
to native language and added to the existing lynx binary without a problem
while .lynxrc can only be translated after recompiling the binary
unless we getext'ed all its messages.
(Well, my very personal point for translation is reading short messages in
english but want reading long docs/help in my native language, when the
quality of translation without a question. This rather strange decision
probably based on Russian language where we have too many forms of the word
with different suffixes and prefixes, compared with a single form in english).

> Although I guess it is no longer a goal, at one point Tom was looking
> for ways to reduce the number of files containing gettexted strings
> (to accommodate the Solaris xgettext?).

>> for hot keys, etc.?  Why not to share your knowlage with others?

> Well, responding to posts about NLS is about the only way I CAN share
> my experiences.  I don't recall many other posts giving directions on
> how to get NSL working:
>    http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1198/msg00123.html
>    http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1198/msg00514.html
> Jim, Tom, a few others and myself have given countless tips concerning
> NLS on the list over the last 7 months.  They are archived by thread
> and are available to anyone who is interested.

I mean a small readme file or a faq would be a good contribution for beginners.