lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev problems w/ remarq

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problems w/ remarq
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:23:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Matthew Kelly wrote:

> I noticed a problem with Lynx and accessing remarq news service.
>
> If you pull up main page, http://www.remarq.com, and enter a newsgroup in
> search term to access, eg alt.music.blue-rodeo, it will pull up a page
> with matching groups.  If you select one, you get the message 'Location
> URL is not absolute', but it keeps doing that 10 times and then aborts
> because of redirection limit of 10 URL's is reached.
>
> I don't experience the problem using Netscape. I wouldn't think this
> significant (it doesn't always follow standards), but I've tried some
> earlier versions of Lynx that work OK.  I first noticed the problem
> while running lynx282dev25, but have built 283rel1 and the problem
> still exists. Out of the earlier releases, 2.7 and earlier seem to have no
> problems...
>
> problems: 2.8.1rel1, 2.8, 2.7.2
>
> no problems: 2.7.1fm(sorry, no date on that fm release), 2.7, 2.5
>
> Is this just careless website stuff or is there a bug?

Some experimentation shows that they are redirecting (again and again)
if no Referer header (pointing to their site?) is present in the
Request.  If that is right, then people accessing the server through
a proxy like junkbuster set up to strip Referer should see the same,
can anyone confirm this?

Also if this is true, all versions of lynx after this change should
show the problem:

1997-07-02
* Mods in LYGetFile.c to include URLs with content from a form submission
  with method GET in the group for which Referer headers are never sent,
  because the content might include private (e.g., password or credit
  card) information which should not be visible in Referer logs. - FM

   Klaus