lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev style (was: local_dired cleanup)

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev style (was: local_dired cleanup)
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 01:48:56 -0400

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 12:00:18AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> 990524 Lloyd Rasmussen wrote:
> > I suspect that some users of braille displays would be interested
> > in changing Lynx's indent behavior, especially eliminating
> > the 3-character indent that is usually present for normal paragraphs.
> > I know ... it's all in the source code somewhere.
> > when I want to forward or paper print a page printed to disk by Lynx,
> > my first procedure is to load it into PC-Write
> > and delete the first 3 blanks on all lines.
>
> i raised this very point a couple of months ago
> -- without reference to blind users -- & was told very bluntly
> that the indentation scheme of Lynx was determined by the gods long ago
> & could on no account be interfered with by modern mortals.
> i hope you have better luck ...

That's not what you were told.  I gave reasons why I felt that the
current format was preferable to aligning everything at the left margin,
but I would defer to the wishes of the majority if the majority preferred
a different format.  I just think it would be a big mistake because then
the headings wouldn't stand out, and I think that it is necessary for
the headings to stand out.  Unix man pages use the same method of making
the headings stand out, except that they indent everything (except
headings) more than three spaces.  I don't know if all Unix systems are
the same, but on my computers (all running Slackware Linux), seven
spaces are used.  GNU info files don't indent text (except the first line
of each paragraph), but they underline headings with asterisks, which I
think is kind of ugly.  If we remove the three character indentation,
how do you propose we make the headings stand out?

Chuck