lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Oui/Non (was: structured description of lynx.cfg settin

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Oui/Non (was: structured description of lynx.cfg settings)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:18:34 +0900 (JST)

> > I may have missed an occurrence, but HTConfirmDefault does this now:
> > PUBLIC BOOL HTConfirmDefault ARGS2(CONST char *, Msg, int, Dft)
> > {
> >     char *msg_yes = gettext("yes");
> >     char *msg_no  = gettext("no");
> >     int result = -1;
> > (I know it won't work well if "yes" and "no" begin with the same character,
[...]
> Are you sure you want to quit? (n)

Is the construct:

msgid "Are you sure you want to quit? [N] "
msgstr "???????????????????? [N] "

really so obnoxious?  I very much would like to hear from translaters and
people who NEED and USE gettext, not luxury item NLS theory.

BTW, "yes" and "no" cannot always be translated as unique words, i.e., they
may change according to context.  For example in Japanese, it _may_ be the
affirmative case of a verb as opposed to the negative case (or a verb of
opposite meaning), and a "yes" or "no" would be inappropriate, or worse,
even ambiguous.  So what I am saying is that HTConfirmDefault could make my
work as a translater infinitely more difficult (if I understand what it is
trying to do).

__Henry