lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev patch to fix several -prettysrc problems

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch to fix several -prettysrc problems
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 11:37:25 +0100 (BST)

Although I would rather have plain text (actually I would rather not have
1,000+ line patches at all on the mailing list - use a web or ftp site)...

> How has Bill Gates so enslaved us to MIME that the average user can
> no longer send/receive plain text messages?

MIME was forced on Bill, not invented by him.  The main offender on this
list is the Unix MUTT program which seems to consider all attachments
to be of unspecified binary type, although Outlook is not much better.

MIME QP would have been OK with me, as I can read it and decode if
necessary.  The problems I had recently where due to mislabelling as
binary, not MIME itself; metamail will feed correctly declared text
material through a pager, but only provides last resort text fall back for
application/octet-stream, which is sent direct to the terminal (including
any dangerous escape sequences, I suspect).