lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx for Macintosh

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx for Macintosh
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:48:23 -0400

None of the versions of Lynx so far support tables in the way you are
expecting from the graphical world.  Tables on web pages are very often
wider than the text screen width, and their column  widths are specified in
pixels or  percentages, not in number of fixed-pitch characters.  Lynx does
act upon markup it finds within table cells, including nested tables.  Lynx
will put in one space when it encounters the <td> "next cell" tag.  It goes
to a new line when it encounters a <tr> "nextw row" tag.  Where tables are
being used for page layout purposes, Lynx has the desirable effect of
decolumnizing the table, because of all the <br> tags frequently imbedded
in these tables.  Where tables are used for the purpose of displaying
related information, it doesn't usually do very well.  Many of these
limitations are the result of Lynx parsing the HTML on a one-pass basis,
with no provision for recursion.

At 03:22 PM 4/12/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Can someone please give me a URL where I can download a version of Lynx for
>the Mac OS? Every link I've tried gives me a "file not found" error. If no
>version is currently available, would you please tell me whether Lynx
>supports tables or not?
>Thanks,
>Jason Rayles
>address@hidden

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congres    (202) 707-0535  <address@hidden>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <address@hidden>   <http://lras.home.sprynet.com