lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev PATCH [dev21]: source caching

From: Scott Bigham
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH [dev21]: source caching
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:08:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 11-Apr-99 12:46 Scott Bigham wrote:

> > (examines code) Wait a minute.  The declaration and definition of
> > free_all_texts() are wrapped in '#ifdef LY_FIND_LEAKS', but the
> > atexit(free_all_texts) call in HText_new() isn't.  How can that even
> > compile without LY_FIND_LEAKS #define'd?  [...]

> That was the very recent changes that #define atexit to nothing
> to decrease shutdown time (and free_all_texts() is the main contributor),

Eek!  That's almost certainly a bad idea.

> > No, cleanup_files() only deletes files listed in the ly_temp list.  And
> > I hesitate to use that mechanism, because then I'd have to go back and
> > remove those files from ly_temp when they get uncached.

> I do not understand this.

Actually, now that I look more closely at the Lynx temp file mechanism
(LYOpenTemp() and family in LYUtils.c), it does appear to have all the
functionality I need.  That should obviate the problem altogether.

> > Well, the low-disk-quota user could always put SOURCE_CACHE:FALSE in her
> > lynx.cfg (or we could have it off by default and make the user turn it
> > on in lynx.cfg; I only had it on by default for testing purposes), or
> > compile it out if she's building her own.  As for the crash, that will
> > be the same as with temporary files, yes?

> I prefer to have a choice between caching sources in temp files or keeping
> them in RAM by managing a dynamic list of Cached Stream's or so.

Yeah, well, I'm not that good.  The Lynx code is downright Byzantine; I
consider it an accomplishment to have done as much as I did.

> Also, we can expand this little further and implement HTTP/1.1 cache so
> HTLoad will send conditional GET requests when we already have a source
> locally.  Anyway this may be a next good step.

Well, the whole idea of this was not to have to hit the network at all
for something like a view source.  That might make sense for an
LYK_RELOAD, but I'd be surprised if the reload code didn't do that
already.

> Not sure whether the 'd'ownload command will use the cached sources
> currently.

Not currently.  I hadn't thought of that one.

> Lots of minor fixes will be done until the things stabilized.

Well, yes, that was given. :-}

                                                -sbigham