lynx-dev

lynx-dev Anyone know of a compatible email service?

From: Bruce Bailey
Subject: lynx-dev Anyone know of a compatible email service?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:43:53 -0400

Dear All,

I am new to this list, so please excuse any newbie gaffes.

In Maryland, we are fortunate enough to have free text-only dial-up access
to the Internet throughout the state.  The home page for this service can
be found at URL:
http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/

I am associated with a couple local organizations that give away recycled
computers.  The problem is that people don't want free PC's that don't come
with Internet access and email.  Sailor covers the internet access.

There are plenty of free email providers, but the half dozen that I have
explored in depth ALL require Microsoft Internet Explorer and/or Internet
Explorer (or Windows '95) and cookies.  The PC's we are getting donated to
us are x386's!

Can anyone recommend a free web-based email service that is VERY compatible
with Lynx?  (Please keep in mind that I am talking about access to Lynx via
vt100 emulation on plain vanilla dial-up access.  Running the 32 bit Win
'95 version of Lynx locally is NOT an option for this application!)

Sailor is currently using Lynx version 2.71 (I think).  If upgrading that
would make a difference, please let me know.

Other creative suggestions are welcome.  One idea is to forego the
text-only approach and try NewDeal Office.  I wish I knew more about how
people were using this application.  You can read more at URL:
http://www.newdealinc.com/

BTW Sailor has this to say about the free services currently available:
"These sites are not optimized to work well with text-based browsers,
Sailor does not recommend these services to people who use Sailor Lynx."
(from URL:  http://sailor.lib.md.us/docs/freemail.html)

Thank you very much.

Bruce Bailey, DORS Webmaster
http://www.dors.state.md.us/