lynx-dev

lynx-dev EBCDIC, HTStreamStack, etc.

From: pg
Subject: lynx-dev EBCDIC, HTStreamStack, etc.
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:24:14 -0700 (MST)

Hello, Lyncei,

I'm seeking to fix a little deficiency in EBCDIC support.
At present, all data coming from the Web is translated from
ASCII to EBCDIC (for EBCDIC hosts, and all data going to the
web is translated from EBCDIC).  I believe this was the right
way to do it; it works well, and seemed to require the fewest
code changes.

Downloaded text files are suitably received in EBCDIC.  But
the problem is that downloaded binary files are perverted by
this translation.  So far, I've been dealing with it by
defining a downloader in lynx.cfg that undoes the translation,
or using "lynx -source URL | iconv -f IBM-1047 -t ISO8859-1",

It would be better to retranslate binary files internally.  But
I'm lost.  I'm staring at HTFormat, which seems to be assembling
pseudo-OO objects with (int (* ())) fields that get assigned
to and moved around.  I haven't the faintest idea where the
actual code is.  I suppose I want to create a method (or modify
an existing one) to undo the EBCDIC translation for binary
files, even as some method, somewhere, must convert newlines for
text files.

Thanks,
gil

"If this be method, there be madness in it!"
(Apologies to Polonius)