lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx support for 'one part' addresses

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx support for 'one part' addresses
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:12:12 -0800

address@hidden wrote:

> Lynx doesn't support these weird URL types...  I realize I only see them
> in spam, but I thought it would be good if they really worked.
>
> >What the heck is it with spams with things like:
> >For FREE debt consultation goto:
> >http://3516237521/768.htm

My Lynx supports them happily.  The above URL doesn't seem to work, but
that's only because they're spammers, so their reverse-Midas-touch turns
everything to shit.

Try, for instance,

  lynx http://2418215520/lynx/

If that doesn't work, it must be because of a difference in the resolver
library with which your Lynx was compiled.  Lynx isn't religious about
this aspect of host names.  It sees it as no different from a string of
letters; it feeds it to gethostbyname(), which returns a usable binary
IP address.