lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: dev20 (with patch to patch that makes patches :-)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: dev20 (with patch to patch that makes patches :-)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:44:47 -0500 (EST)

> In a recent note, address@hidden said:
>
> > Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:41:42 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > 1999-03-17 (2.8.2dev.20)
>
> Thanks for all this.  Just built on Solaris.  Still configuring on OS390
> (even though it started first :-).
>
> Hmmm.  With dev.18, SIGTSTP (^Z) didn't work on Solaris.  Now it works
> again.  (Wasn't a problem on OS390).  Strange?

strange (I don't think we did anything in that area)

> > * lots of color style changes, only effective if compiled with
> > USE_COLOR_STYLE;
> >   together they seem to make color styles act much more reliably and
> >   consistently - KW
>
> Hmmm.  I now get the dreaded monochrome reverse video links on Solaris
> with both XTerm and DTTerm, where DTTerm formerly showed color and XTerm
> used bold highlighting.  I guess I need to experiment with color styles.

Are you configuring with color style?  (if not, it should be the same as before)

> > * add a rule to makefile.in to generate patches - PG
>
> Thank you.  But as soon as I submitted this, it caught the eye of a
> reader who asked whether unified diffs are preferred to context diffs.
> A couple responses preferred "diff -u"; none spoke in favor of "diff -c"
>
> The attached patch changes to "diff -u".  But beware; "-u" appears not
> to be POSIX (I haven't checked).  With the patch, I can no longer
> generate patches on OS390, and on Solaris I must force GNU diff in
> my path before Solaris diff.  Editor's choice: integrate the patch
> or discard it -- I shan't be offended.  :-)

I was undecided - actually more concerned about the complex shell
expression which isn't quoted.  But I am not convinced the rule would
be used heavily enough to justify it.  My practice is to diff the
directories using my directory editor, e.g., select the two I want,
and type

        !diff-patch #

(works for all of the programs, whether there's a patch rule or not).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden