lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev chrtrans .tbl format (was: ... (em dash = --)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev chrtrans .tbl format (was: ... (em dash = --)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:07:58 -0500 (EST)

> >> there is no universal solution, yours will restrict " char from the
> >> string.
>
> > I think you miss that this syntax is already implemented - and you
> > can use stuff like "...\"..." for embedded " chars.  But I was just
> > suggesting to use this for the few strings with significant trailing
> > spaces, not to change all lines.
>
> >    Klaus
>
> Yes, I have overlooked it. I thought it was for octal codes etc.
> and miss its obvious usage for 7bit replacement strings:
> It was not written explicitely in chrtrans/README.format
> Apparently, dev.20 happens to have "-- " for mdash instead of "--"
> (I guess Tom was misguided from our discussion in a rush hour
> and made incorrect interpretation of a patch sent by e-mail as open text).

not exactly - I missed the trailing blank because I've been generally
refraining from trimming trailing blanks in *.tbl (you told me not to
do that early last year).  As a matter of practice, I have been
trimming all of the other files (patches sent in email always come
to me with trailing blanks, unless they're uuencoded).

> I think we should tweak README.format
> so *every* string with trailing spaces
> should be enclosed as U+1234 "..." string (add example)
> with (or without?) support for trailing spaces in U+2345:normal

yes.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden