lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev tiny distribution (was: Dead Code, Part 2)

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tiny distribution (was: Dead Code, Part 2)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:31:37 -0800

On or about 12 Mar, 1999, Henry Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:

        [...]

> I hope I'm not getting on people's nerves too much and stepping on other
> people's feet. Just `d' my messages. Anyone who does anything for Lynx
> is tops in my book. Jim, you're towards the top of that. If I sound
> nasty sometimes, it's just that I'm an idealist for Lynx.

Just my own non-coding user's opinion, but I think a strong voice
for a small lynx is a Good Thing, whether you and I have the same
or different ends and means in mind.  It seems like most of the
reviews of lynx I've read have tended to emphasize its "lean,
mean, built for speed" characteristics.  Losing whatever cachét
it has in that area wouldn't bode well for maintaining the ol'
user base.

At the same time, I'm loath to part with a lot of the features
that keep lynx expanding.  I could compile out the news support
without a qualm, but the textarea editing is the slickest thing
since ... the last slick thing, and I use cookies a lot, and etc.

I know forking the code base is not the way to go, but I hope
some way evolves to keep lynx the best in show for both the
small-size and rich-feature camps - and for those of us somewhere
in between, too.

--
Michael Warner          "You're cute when you're stupid"
<address@hidden>                                -- R.A. Miller