lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: size_change code

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: size_change code
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:50:41 -0500

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 08:11:46AM -0600, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
>
> > My test changing ROWS and COLUMNS environment variables helped on NetBSD
> > to redraw screens properly, but can't be done on Digital UNIX:
> >
> > $ echo $TERM
> > xterm
> > $ echo $COLUMNS
> > 80
> > $ echo $ROWS
> >
> > $ export COLUMNS=
> > $ lynx
> > Terminal initialisation failed - unknown terminal type?
>
> 1. What if you use `unset COLUMNS'?
> 2. It could depend on whether terminfo/termcap for xterm has default cols
>    and lines
> 3. Is HAVE_SIZECHANGE defined for dgux?

It looks like this was researched before, and left partly fixed
(from LYCurses.c):

#if defined(HAVE_SIZECHANGE) && !defined(USE_SLANG) && defined(NOTDEFINED)
/*
 *  Hack to deal with a problem in sysV curses, that screen can't be
 *  resized to greater than the size used by initscr, which can only
 *  be called once.  So set environment variables LINES and COLUMNS
 *  to some suitably large size to force initscr to allocate enough
 *  space.  Later we get the real window size for setting LYlines
 *  and LYcols. - AJL & FM
 *
 *  Has problems, so we don't use this hack, but the code is here
 *  if someone wants to play with it some more. - FM
 */
    char *lines_putenv = NULL;
    char *cols_putenv = NULL;

    if (getenv("LINES") == NULL && getenv("COLUMNS") == NULL) {
        StrAllocCopy(lines_putenv, "LINES=120");
        (void) putenv(lines_putenv);
        StrAllocCopy(cols_putenv, "COLUMNS=240");
        (void) putenv(cols_putenv);
    }
#endif /* HAVE_SIZECHANGE && !USE_SLANG && NOTDEFINED */

Dgux is data general unix, usually :-)
unset COLUMNS does the same thing (Digital UNIX screens bad)
Digital UNIX has sizechange=yes

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: