lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev syntax change

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev syntax change
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:08:16 -7700 (EST)

990228 Laura Eaves wrote:
> 990228 Philip Webb wrote:
>> i don't believe you've counted correctly:
>> JP wanted the above syntax, KD PW were strongly opposed
>> & i didn't see any other comments on syntax (KW discussed something else).
> Ok I'll have to look at the archive.  (I alrady deleted the replies.)

there's just been another vote for  1g+  from LP.

>> I (emphatic) recommended a different change after testing things,
>> ie  3p+  (etc), which says `3 pages further-down' (intuitively)
>> & falls under the fingers better: the first  2  strokes are reached
>> from the standard touch-typing position, then you have to reeeaaach
>> for the `+' key (while shifting); your (old/new) way, you have to reeeaaach
>> in the middle of things, then reset your fingers in standard position.
> the  +  and  -  keys are near  0  on the keyboard,
> so the reach wouldn't be all that bad.

maybe you don't touch-type: up to the number keys is a natural movement,
but  -  &  +  are a stretch &  +  needs shifting:
it's  1  (inevitable) pain to reach for them at the end of the sequence,
but  1 extra  (avoidable) pain if they're in the middle of the sequence.
just once, it's not worth wasting time on,
but over many uses by many users it's a definite stone in the shoe.
i'm esp reacting vs your  0+1g  version, which is even worse:
the whole idea of the device is to make it easier to jump around,
esp inside familiar documents, not to compose a logical calculus.

> I've also been thinking 123+ and 123- without g or p should be outlawed
> as the user is less sure of the destination link
> when typing relative numbers.  Any thoughts?

hey, i didn't realise it was there: it's great: please leave it!

> I could easily change the syntax again to  5g+  etc
> if people really want it that way.  But I'll wait for replies first....

give it a day or two: i hope my vote count hasn't misrepresented anyone.