lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev bloating binaries (was clue)

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bloating binaries (was clue)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:19:27 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
>I've patched against dev16 (nothing here should have changed a for a
>while) 2 "retro" Lynx changes. One removes GOPHER code, and the other

When lynx is compiled without gopher code, does attempting to go to a gopher
link provide some kind of useful message, like:
This version of Lynx was compiled without gopher support. Ask your sysadmin
to recompile with gopher support if you need access to gopher links.

Well, that needs to be cut down to <80 chars, I guess.. but you get the idea.
Some relatively friendly error message that shows that Lynx can support
gopher links.

Heck, I'd say that Usenet support would be a good thing to rip out for
this Lynx-lite effort.  Giving a reference (or link, if there's a Usenet site)
to a "real" news reader like trn would be good for the error condition in that
case.