lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:48:38 +0900 (JST)

> > ALL recent "features" should be off by default.
>
> I disagree with that as general rule.  Defaults are just that, defaults.

And I agree with you.  I not only jabber a lot; I get carried away at
times, too.

> Some of that growth is due to more data, not more code - especially
> more tables for charsets and entities.  Some is due to lots of small

There is no easy way to chose only which tables you might want.  To the
complete novice like myself, even with Leonid's rather good instructions,
it is a mystery as to what tables are needed, and which ones would never
likely be used.  Seems to me, I only need one since I use only English
and CJK.

> Henry, I think you must want *some* of those changes - otherwise you

Multibookmarks, Chartrans (even if I don't need it), Temp file handling,
any security features related to anonymous, Gettext.

> would likey not follow the list, and would stick with some older version.

Most people know by now I'm hanging on by a thread.  This post separated by
5 or 6 hours from the last one.  Leave again in less than 3 minutes.

> be responsible for introducing a new preprocessor macro?

Maybe.

> Should Tom be responsible for making all new code optional?

Certainly not.  All coordinating developers have no responsibility
beyond themselves.  I take nothing for granted.  I thank you all.

> needing more cpu time, or more dynamic memory and paging?  For example
> static buffers are being eliminated, but now a lot more heap allocation
> is needed.

What does this mean -- more toward CPU, or more toward memory, or neither?

__Henry