lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:45:56 +0000 (GMT)

> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > How can lynx be made to access (or provide a way) to use urls that cont=
> ain
> > the "https" security software?

If this is for commercial use in the USA, it probably can't; although you
could try and negotiate a licence for the RSA technology required, I doubt
that the patentee would be interested in end user licensing, and would
point you to NS or IE.

There is a royalty free class licence for the use of RSAREF for
educational and personal non-commercial use.  However, the resulting
binaries can no longer be distributed under the GPL, so, if going
the internal SSL route, you must compile it yourself and may not give
it to others - it is no longer "free" software by the Free Software
Foundation's definitions.

Any SSL code imported into the USA is likely to be in breach of the terms
of the class licence, as a result of not using RSAREF (to use it could put
the software in breach of copyright); any that does use RSAREF legally will
certainly have restricted keylengths.  An SSL Lynx cannot be exported to
the USA because of the GPL/RSA conflict.

I strongly suspect that there are many "warez" copies of SSL Lynx around,
but I would encourage you to raise objections about software patents with
your senator rather than pirate software.