lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Using a VT100 connected to a PC

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Using a VT100 connected to a PC
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:15:44 +0000 (GMT)

> >My name is John Schweppe.  I am a software developer at Citibank.  We
> >are currently looking for a text browser solution for one of our
> >projects.  We need to find a Win32 (NT 4.0) text browser who's user
> >interface is a VT100 connected via a VT100 terminal.
                  ^^^^^  These have not been manufactured for around a
                         decade, and many emulations are broken.
                                        ????? (serial port??)

> >I downloaded the source and started looking through it.  It appears that
> >the effort to modify the lynx browser to accomplish the task mentioned
> >above may be pretty involved.  In addition, our development unit uses

It just means finding a proper implementation of curses or ncurses for NT.
The main difficulty is likely to be that most people trying to run serial
terminals would use Unix or a DOS BBS, not NT, so there may be no demand
for ports of these to NT.  To the extent that Lynx has built in assumptions
about terminals, those are assumptions are that the terminal is a VT100
emulation.

I've not used any of the Windows curses used for Lynx, so don't know if
they are complete implementations or simply "DOS" window only ones.

> >Microsoft Visual C++ as our development platform and would necessitate
> >the project to built under this compiler.  It appears that porting Lynx
> >to MSVC++ has not been successful (after reading various lynx-dev
> >email).

Given that cygwin is licensed on similar terms to Lynx, you are probably
shooting yourself in the foot for internal political reasons.