lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:19:25 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:

> > > Again, I tried mapping various chars in .lynx-keymaps and
> > > found it worked with ncurses, but I still lost the same chars (alt135,
> > > 139)
> > > using slang.
> >
> > From: address@hidden
> > I'm lost track - what type of terminal (or emulator) are you using?
> > (iirc, you're running under some version of BSD).
>
> ProcommPlus emulating v220+color.
> BTW -- What does "iirc" stand for?  I keep seeing it but haven't
> deciphered it as yet...:)

If I recall correctly, it stands for that.

> > 135 = 0x87
> > 139 = 0x8b
> >
> > Both are C1 (control) characters, though I don't know that they have any
> > particular meaning.  So perhaps slang is simply stripping them out.

Laura showed some debug output earlier, that showed she did get *something*.
But perhaps slang is converting 8-bit control characters to their 7-bit
representations. That would be  0x87 -> 0x1b 0x47,  0x8b -> 0x1b 0x4b.

> what is "C1"?

C0: 0x00 - 0x1F,  C1: 0x80 - 0x8F

> Anyway, does that mean slang is right
> to translate it to 0x10F?  I think not...

I am not convinced that slang is doing that.

1st possibility: slang translates "\207" to 0x10F.  According to _my_
slang.h, 0x10F means to slang SL_KEY_UNDO.  I can't imagine why slang
would treat two inputs as an "Undo" key (unless your terminfo/termcap
tells it so).

2nd possibility: slang translates "\207" to XY, The lynx code
further processes XY to 0x10F.  0x10F meant DO_NOTHING in ...dev.17,
but in dev.17 DO_NOTHING should (ago as some versions ago) be 0x10E.
Do you still get 0x10F with dev.17, or do you get 0x10E now?

Writing debug output directly after some of the GetChar()s in
the second LYgetch_for (the long one) should tell which of the two
is the case (unless it's something else completely).  That second
LYgetch_for gets only used for USE_SLANG if USE_KEYMAPS is undefined,
afaics.

Ok, I haven't tested all this with a slang version - don't have a current
one - maybe this *does* happen not just for Laura...

    Klaus