lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:32:17 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> As I said before, there is no ISO-9945-2 charset registered with IANA.
> Now I went a little farther and realize that it also unknown for
> any other authority like ftp.unicode.org -
> there is no such thing as ISO 9945-2 charset in the World,
> there is an "ISO 9945-2 charmap format" for representing a charset mapping
> (we have similar format in chrtrans/*.tbl tables)
>
> So the table received from a Ukrainian fellow was a
> "Description of full KOI8-U codepage in ISO 9945-2 charmap format"
> as it is on http://www.net.ua/KOI8-U/
>
> Apparently, the table is broken also (obsolete, was not updated
> when koi8-u RFC2319 was adopted) for [ir]responsibility of Ukrainian
> community.
> We should obviously remove "iso-9945-2" codepage from Linx.

I completely agree.  It is probably some preliminary version for KOI8-U.

I looked at the differences.  All the _letters_ are the same,
except for comments and one case where the older table seems to be just
wrong:
< 0xB4 U+0403 # CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER UKRAINIAN IE
---
> 0xB4 U+0404 # CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER UKRAINIAN IE

Other than that, there are just some differences in special symbols,
where koi8u_uni.tbl generally goes with koi8-r, while the other table
looks like some draft based on Microsoft assignments.

There are still two tables left for Ukrainian, that should be more
than enough to sustain the appropriate level of confusion among Ukrainian
users...

   Klaus