lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:20:06 -0500

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Hmm, the "Insert" key isn't used in the line editor, it makes some kind of
> sense to use it for "inserting" a file... but would be kind of unexpected.
> Besides, that sounds more like the other function Kim is working on, for
> inserting an existing file.  And not everyone has a working (or
> recognized) "Insert" key.

Please, anything but the 'Insert' key.  This will confuse even more users
than using ^Ve or e.

1. Insert key is used by Lynx for 'go back two lines in the document', or
UP_TWO command.  Such assignment will be inconsistent to the existing
definition. But then again, since I do not use UP_TWO and DOWN_TWO, this
is not my immediate concern.

2. As much as Lynx should remain cross platform, thanks to DOS/Windows,
many users expect 'Insert' key is used to toggle between insert and
overwrite states.  There is an exception in Microsoft Word 6 where you can
use Ins to paste text, but I turn off such option to increase consistency.

If 'Insert' should be used for importing document, it is better to use it
with a modifier key (eg: alt-insert) to avoid confusion.  But how portable
modifier-ins is remained to be seen.