lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: P(rint) removes "underlines"

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: P(rint) removes "underlines"
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:58:28 -0800

Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > this isn't a change - 'print' doesn't do underlines since it (like the dump
> > option) just saves the text as is.
>
> SUBSTITUTE_UNDERSCORES in lynx.cfg or -underscore on the command line
> does this for -dump output, but not for print output. I think the
> optimal behavior would be for the underscore option to apply to print
> output also. Since it doesn't, I assume that there was a reason. What is
> the downside to having the option for underscores printing apply to
> print output also? Is it that print can be configured to do whatever you
> want with the rendered output, so that the underscores would interfere
> with whatever process was called?

I've long wished that `lynx -dump` could optionally output hardcopy
printer style highlighting: "boldface" of x^Hx and "underscore" of _^Hx.
This would allow pagers like `less` to display those highlights (and, of
course, for printers to print them).  The same could apply to print
output.

Hmmm, looks like that wouldn't be too difficult in GridText.c...