lynx-dev

lynx-dev [dev.15 patch] small textarea external edit buglet

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: lynx-dev [dev.15 patch] small textarea external edit buglet
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:47:06 -0800

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> There are a few specific things (below) that I'd like some feedback on,
> but what is needed mostly, is additional testing ... particularly on
> the boundary cases (eg, the last line of a page is also the last line
> of a text area, and you add some lines, etc).  I don't know HTML well
> enough to easily create such test pages.  On the "live" pages that I
> have tested this on, I haven't seen any problems with the algorithms
> per se, though.

<URL:http://babelfish.altavista.com/> is the only textarea page I know
offhand, but this is repeatable:

Enter textarea, invoke editor, put in text, exit editor, all works
fine.  But, using vim (haven't tried any other editors, but I expect
they would fail too), if I save a completely empty file, saving and
returning to Lynx will leave a few characters of garbage on the
screen.  After the line "ebuf = malloc(1);", ebuf is read from without
ever initializing the memory.

This patch against dev.15 seems to fix it, though you may have a
better way of handling this.

*** 2.8.2dev.15/src/GridText.c  Thu Jan 28 21:33:39 1999
--- 2.8.2dev.15.bri/src/GridText.c      Thu Jan 28 21:34:39 1999
***************
*** 8822,8827 ****
--- 8822,8831 ----
      while ((size != 0) && isspace(ebuf[size-1]))
        ebuf[--size] = '\0';

+     if(size == 0) {
+           ebuf[0] = '\0';
+     }
+
      /*
       *        Copy each line from the temp file into the corresponding anchor
       *        struct, removing any trailing whitespace.  Add new lines to the

--
When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.